Monday, July 8, 2013

Leslie’s Cupcake Challenge



My friend Leslie asked me "can you make me a brazo de mercedes cupcake?" And I'm like "I didn't even know they exist” :D. So, I asked Mr. Google to help me find this brazo de mercedes cupcakes. I found a couple of variations but opted for the simplest one since this will be my first time to make a Brazo de Mercedes lest in cupcakes form!


First thing first, what is Brazo de Mercedes? Brazo de Mercedes is an all-time favourite dessert in the Philippines that is made out of a thin soft sheet of baked meringue, rolled like a Swiss Roll or Jelly Roll Cake, with a sweet and creamy custard filling in the center.


 Photo credits to Raymund author of  Ang Sarap Blog. He also have a good recipe for this dessert.

Actually, I started to test this yesterday and it ended up a disaster :P the meringue shrunk. See? Poor thing. The meringue was over baked and the custard filling was still soft. I placed a split roasted cashew nut on top just to prettify the over baked meringue. I know, It didn’t helped :D.
 

My heart sunk. I got intimidated with any meringue based desserts that’s why I stayed away from them :D. Well, with the exception of  SMBC and this one  since Leslie challenged me.
 
Luckily, one of my sugar friend introduced me to Mommyluv's Kitchen who for me, bakes the perfect Brazo de Mercedes cupcakes. And she was so sweet to reply on my query and gave tips.



And so, I wake up this morning with the determination of making a successful brazo de mercedes cupcakes. And this is how it looks now!


Your eyes are not playing any tricks on you, they're really not alike. This is because I was also experimenting on different kinds of piping tips. In here I used: plain round tip, french tip and a
star tip.

 They're not perfect but am glad it really turned out way, way better than yesterdays :D You can take a peek of my cupcake's inspiration here 



These were baked 2 minutes longer and as you can see it’s not visually appealing anymore. So, the right oven temperature and timing is the Key!


There’s no other way to celebrate my little experiment/challenge but to enjoy savouring this sweet dessert with an iced coffee.  Yumm!


Until next time!

Donna

21 comments:

  1. hi
    i would like to ask when did you put the custard filling? is it before baking or after baking?
    thanks much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous,

    I piped in the custard filling after the meringue was baked and dusted with powdered sugar. Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, how do you avoid the malansa egg taste? :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous, you can put lemon juice, zest or both, or lemon extract. It also improve the flavor or your custard filling.

      Delete
  4. Hi, would you share to us the temp of your oven when you made these? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,

      I used 325*F for 10 mins. only. I strongly suggest that you pre-heat your oven properly. Pre-heating time depends on the size of your oven. If that still fail, try baking them at 300*F for 25-30 mins. watch out for the light brown top.

      Delete
  5. Hi, how what is the temperature and how long does it take to bake the meringue cupcake? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, for this size, 325*F for 10 mins. :) Let us know how it went when you get to try these. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
    2. Allow me to add this: The ideal oven temperature/s for baking meringue is 300-325*F.

      Delete
  6. hi, how are you? can i ask what's the perfect timing and temperature when baking the cupcakes? thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bakerqueen. Thank you for dropping by. There are several variables to consider: oven temp., oven size, size of the meringue swirl, and time. I am using the standard La Germania table top oven and for that size, I pre-heat my oven for a minimum of 25 mins. specially for meringue base cakes. With the size that I have made, I have baked them at 325*F for 10 mins. only, just as the tops brown a little. Another alternative is by baking it at 300*F for 25 to 30 mins.. Always check for the brown top.

      Delete
    2. thank you so much.. i will try this cupcakes tomorrow..

      Delete
  7. hi, how are you? can i ask the right timing and temperatue when baking the cupcakes, thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, i wanted to ask what you did in order for your cupcakes not to shrink? I just made one batch and it resulted to your first trial not sure what to do so it doesn't shrink and loose form :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anonymous, I think the one you did was overbaked :(. But don't loose hope :) it will come out perfect in your next try. Here are the things you need to watch out for:
    1. The oven has to be pre-heated properly to 300*F - 325 *F for a min. of 25 mins. It is very important also to use an OVEN THERMOMETER to have an accurate temp. of your oven. The temperature that was stamped on your oven's dial/knob are not reliable.
    2. The meringue has to be whipped to the right consistency. Stiff but not dry.
    3. Use the paper-lined-FOIL baking cups. They're sturdier, holds better, than the glassine baking cups.
    4. Use a timer to track your baking time. For 300*F I suggest 20-25 mins. or until a slight browning occurs. For 325*F (the temp. I used for the cupcake on the photo) I only baked it for 10 mins.. If you decided to pipe the meringue taller, I suggest you bake it at 300*F so that the meringue will be thoroughly cooked before the tops are browned.

    Good Luck! Let me know how you did okay? and you can share a photo with us.

    Try it again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for answering my question and for the helpful tip. I see what the problem is. I was doing everything by hand because I don't have a mixer. I guess it's time to invest in one even just a hand mixer. I would upload the photo as soon as I make another batch. :) thanks again.

      Delete
    2. If your budget permits, buy a heavy duty stand mixer. Mixing eggwhites to become meringue can take a good 7-10 mins. of mixing at high speed. Using a hand mixer can tire your arms and also have the danger of overheating the motor. If using a hand mixer you can only whip small batch of eggwhites to ensure that it is properly whipped.

      Delete
  10. Hi! How about in a convection oven do u have any idea of the oven temperature?pls help me i want to make that cupcakes... Thnx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maechiko zee. By saying "convection oven" there's a built-in fan in your oven, right? You're very lucky to have one. As long as you have the oven thermometer inside the oven set to 325*F you're good to go. I haven't tried to bake mine in that kind of oven. But in one of my readings, it says that you can lower down the temperature by 25*F that calls in your recipe and baking for the same time required. Since the fan helps in baking the cakes faster. To be sure, you need to bake some test cupcakes to see the exact time of baking the cupcakes. And always check the temperature in your oven.

      Delete
  11. Hi! What size is the piping tip that you used for the merengue & custard?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Nicolette :) ,

    For this experiment, I used Wilton 1M, D'Chef 825, and round 16MM for the Meringue. But among these tips, I liked the D'Chef 825 the most. For the custard, I used the Wilton 1M tip

    ReplyDelete