Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Cupcake Toppers for Christmas Part 1



I know it is still early to think of Christmas but can't help myself getting excited since I'm really looking forward to see my family again. 

Last year, I made some cupcakes as gifts for Christmas and sold some. Since there were not much cupcake toppers available in our area (that I liked :D ), I decided to make my own. I got the inspirations from the internet. I used some simple cutters and a silicone mould that I got from Bake et al, an online shop for all your cake decorating needs!. I will make a separate blog for the silicone mold. 


So, here goes! You will need the following:



I wanted to make Santa's beard stand out so, I colored my marshmallow fondant with Americolor Bright White.


Hope you could see the difference. Can you?


To start. Roll out a skin toned fondant thinly. Here, I used the biggest cutter from the round and wavy edge double sided cutter set. If your fondant is still tacky and soft, leave it a while before moving it to avoid stretching it. When it's firm, use a pallet knife (I used #1007) to lift it and placed on my work mat. Set aside.


 
With the wavy edge of the cutter, cut white fondant. this will be Santa's beard. Use the round edge to cut other parts "band", #10 or #12 round piping tip for Santa's hat.


Mustache, Lip and Beard.


Santa's Hat. If the fondant shrunk or short in height, carefully roll it out with a rolling pin to make it longer. As you can see Santa already looked cute even if he's bald :)


Attach remaining parts. You can leave the band as is or cut the sides for a different look. It's up to you  :)



Now the Snowman head with earmuffs 







If the band is thick, you can always trim it down to desired width. Same goes with the ear muffs.




Attach remaining parts. And Tada!



Snowman #2 with winter bonnet.



Using the same cutter used on Santa's face, cut through...

Use the same round cutter to cut and shape the other parts of the bonnet.

  



NOTES:

1. For this project, I used a marshmallow fondant (MMF) with fondant improver to stabilize the shape of my toppers. I prefer to use MMF because it tastes better than rolled fondant. You may use tylose powder just make sure to knead the sugar dough properly so the tylose powder will completely dissolved.  You can also make these by using gumpaste.

2. Do not refrigerate the toppers with the cupcakes. Place them on your cupcakes as soon as the buttercream comes at room temperature.   


Hope you learned something and ENJOY! 

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment