Wednesday, August 7, 2013

My Sweet Succulent Adventure




It has been two years since I fell in love with  moulding sugar figures and flowers. It has totally opened a new world for me to explore and has rekindled my love for art. I have never imagined for an edible play-dough like sugar paste could create wonders in decorating a cake. I love making sugar flowers, I’m more comfortable making them than human figures but I am already working on in improving my skills.

Recently, I got the opportunity to work with a friend-baker Kristine with her wedding cake project. It was a massive, well for me it is since I haven’t worked on that big of a size cake yet, 5-tier, six inch-height per layer cake. The bride-to-be requested for lace, succulents and peony [pronounced as pee’-uh-knee] elements as the main decors of her wedding cake. 

And so I was tasked to make the sugar succulents and the sugar peonies. I have found a few tutorials online on how to make them but it doesn’t fit the size requirement needed on the cake. I needed it to be at least 3 to 4-inches in diameter. After spending sometime on photos of the infamous succulents, I have decided to make it like an open flower (which some specie do looks like). To do so, I needed to wire them and bunch the wires. I will make another post on how to make these succulents. . 

Allow me to share my friend’s work. It’s humongous isn’t it?  More than enough to feed 400 guests! I am very pleased with how it turned out. Kristine really did a very good job in staging the sugar flowers and succulents. She also did the cupcake toppers! the dainty pattern fit perfectly which is cohesive with the lace pattern around each tier of the cake. 

We, we?, really we? or was it just me?! I! was very anxious with how the bride will react. But all our hard work and sleepless nights paid off when the Bride and Groom congratulated Kristine that they were very pleased and happy with how the cake turned out. Not only them, so as the bridal party and the guests loved the cake!

Thank you very much for the opportunity of working with you Kristine :) I had fun!











Photos courtesy of Ms. Kristine Grace Santos.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment